Who We Are
Smoke Free Indy is a coalition of state and local public health organizations, community based organizations, physicians, businesses, schools, the faith community, and Marion County residents dedicated to reducing secondhand smoke, tobacco usage and tobacco initiation through education, prevention and advocacy.
Some of the Coalition’s Major Accomplishments
- Organizations within the Cessation Subcommittee have provided quit smoking services to Marion County residents since 2002.
- The Indiana Quit Line (1-800-Quit-Now) has assisted over 6,000 Marion County residents who wanted to quit smoking.
- The coalition worked with the Indianapolis Airport Authority to pass a smoke free policy covering their entire grounds at the new airport terminal.
- Smoke Free Indy worked with the Marion County Fair Board to implement a completely smoke free grounds policy for the duration of the entire fair.
- The coalition worked with community and political leaders to educate them about the importance of making Indianapolis completely smoke free. On June 1st, 2012 an expanded smoke-free air law took effect, covering nearly every workplace in Indianapolis.
- The coalition participates in many events such as Fiesta Indianapolis, the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Little Red Door’s Big Red Bash, Scottish Highland Games and Indiana Black Expo’s Summer Celebration.
- Annually the coalition also hosts events around Kick Butts Day, World No Tobacco Day and the Great American Smokeout.
- The coalition released a Public Opinion Poll in 2010 which found that 70% of Indianapolis residents want a smoke free air law covering all businesses.